Thursday 2 February 2012

Three Brass Monkey's

It's always been in the back of my mind and to some extent was inevitable, what I didn't realise was how soon it would come. The weather was good, the tides were good and I was feeling considerably more confident with my boat and ability, everything was spot on for a trip to Steepholm and Flatholm islands, premier league indeed.

Nate from Glamboaters was going to join Taran and I for this trip, it was going to be a superb day out. But everything came to a grinding halt when we arrived at Sully Island, the channel looked rough white horses were everywhere, Steepholm was off. Whilst looking over to Flatholm I could see some large waves breaking and I think they hadn't bypassed Taran either, Flatholm looked off as well. I must admit I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't get out there this time, but safety first. Instead we decided to head on down to Penarth and see how we get on, as the wind was strong it was going to be a bit of a slog, oh and nobbling as well.


Conditions in Sully bay it's going to be bumpy.


A little bit of shelter being offered by Sully Island. Red Triassic marl is clearly visible, it's hard to believe I am looking at over 100 million years of time represented in these rocks. Things get a bit bumpy over the sully sandbar my boat is rising and falling over the waves, no photo's I'm afraid, thought it prudent to hold onto the paddle.

Approaching Lavernock point, and things have calmed down a bit. It is bitterly cold, I've heard words such as challenging, interesting and fun but invigorating is a good word to describe today's conditions.

Nate slogging on against the wind, Flatholm and Steepholm in the distance.


There was nothing going on at Lavernock point, but a change of course to Penarth puts us sideways onto the wind, not long after turning we stop for lunch. It's taken 2 hours to get to this point.

Did I mention it was nobbling? Despite the sun we all begin to feel the cold and if we stay any longer the three monkey's would be looking for a welder. Despite about 4o mins left of the flood the decision is easily made to turn and head back home.


Back into the wind, although only for a short time this time....

As soon as we have the wind behind us and the tide turns everything flattens out like someone has literally switched the waves off, but the bitter cold was still there.

It's so cold I think Taran began to hallucinate about a warm cup of coffee.......


and then he regressed back to primary school, do you think he wanted to ask me a question.


Shortly afterwards we head back to the cars and after a very rapid change indeed, we find ourselves sitting in the warmth of the local pub 'The Captain's Wife' having a few drinks. A fitting conclusion to a  short, enjoyable, and bitterly cold paddle.
 

3 comments:

Taran Tyla said...

Brrrrrrrrr, just reading that makes me feel cold again :D

stoney (Martyn) said...

Its great this time of year.....so long as your in the boat paddling. Stop for a rest and you really feel it don't you!

51˚N Seakayaking said...

Spot on Martyn, it's a amazing how quickly the wind saps the heat once you get out of the boat, roll on summer..